Hilda Louisa Newman

Hilda Louisa NewmanAge: 90 years18881979

Hilda Louisa Newman
Birth 4 August 1888 34 30
Birth of a brotherRonald Stanley Newman
12 April 1890 (Age 20 months)
Note: Registered Apr/May/June Edmonton Vol 3a
Death of a maternal grandmotherSylvia Eliza Davidge
23 December 1904 (Age 16 years)
Address: Wittenham, Lyonsdown Road
Cause: Cerebral atrophy
Note: R E Smith son-in-law in attendance.
Death of a maternal grandfatherWilliam Halford Fell
22 October 1906 (Age 18 years)
Address: Wittenham, Lyonsdown Road
Cause: Disease of prostate gland. Exhaustion.
Note: Edith S Smith daughter present at his death.
Religious marriageJoshua Simms HarriesView this family
4 July 1912 (Age 23 years)
Note: registered at Barnet Sept quarter 1912
Birth of a son
Joshua Richard Harries
8 May 1913 (Age 24 years)
Birth of a son
Raymond Philip Harries
13 August 1915 (Age 27 years)
Birth of a son
Stanley Ronald Harries
29 April 1917 (Age 28 years)
Birth of a daughter
Kathleen Annie Harries
1 October 1918 (Age 30 years)
Birth of a daughter
Margaret (Peggy) Joan Harries
29 February 1920 (Age 31 years)
Christening of a daughterKathleen Annie Harries
4 May 1924 (Age 35 years)
Shared note:
Christened at Christ Church, Southgate, Middlesex, England
Death of a motherAnnie Rebecca Fell
15 March 1933 (Age 44 years)
Address: 74 Langley Way
Death of a fatherRichard Newman
7 February 1940 (Age 51 years)
Address: 74 Langley Road West Wickham Beckenham
Death of a brotherRonald Stanley Newman
27 July 1960 (Age 71 years) Age: 70
Note: registered at Bromley Sept quarter 1960
Death of a husbandJoshua Simms Harries
17 October 1962 (Age 74 years)
Address: 4 Frinton Park Court Central Avenue Frinton-on-Sea and Walton
Death of a daughterMargaret (Peggy) Joan Harries
4 July 1978 (Age 89 years)
Death 4 April 1979 (Age 90 years)
Family with parents - View this family
Marriage: 3 November 1883Great Amwell, Hertfordshire, England
5 years
20 months
younger brother
Ronald Stanley Newman
Birth: 12 April 1890 35 31Tottenham, Middlesex, England
Death: 27 July 1960Farnborough Hospital, Kent, England
Family with Joshua Simms Harries - View this family
Marriage: 4 July 1912New Barnet, Hertfordshire, England
10 months
GranJoshRay.jpgJoshua Richard Harries
Birth: 8 May 1913 25 24North Finchley, Middlesex, England
Death: 2 August 1997Westbury, Wiltshire, England
2 years
Raymond Philip Harries
Birth: 13 August 1915 28 27Billericay, Essex, England
Death: 19 July 2004Lymington, Hampshire, England
21 months
Stanley Harries, October 2006Stanley Ronald Harries
Birth: 29 April 1917 29 28Billericay, Essex, England
Death: 18 December 2010Bampton, Devon, England
17 months
Kathleen Annie HarriesKathleen Annie Harries
Birth: 1 October 1918 31 30Buttsbury, Essex, England
Death: 22 December 1992East Surrey Hospital, Redhill, Surrey, England
17 months
Marriage of Peggy Harries and Denis BoyleMargaret (Peggy) Joan Harries
Birth: 29 February 1920 32 31Billericay, Essex, England
Death: 4 July 1978Isleworth, London, England

registered at Barnet Sept quarter 1912
Gran's Diary

This book belongs to me, H.L Harries. Maiden name Hilda Louisa Newman, daughter of Annie and Richard Newman. Born at Cheshunt Herts. in the year 1888, on August 4th.

We lived at Cheshunt for a short while and then went to live in a sweet little cottage in Tottenham. Park cottage it was called, and then we moved up the road to a very large house, would you believe it right opposite to the Spurs football ground. I well remember the people going through the turnstiles and the band playing on Saturday afternoons sometimes, although I couldn't have been more than four years old. By then I had a brother two years younger than myself, a real handful and certainly spoiled.

I think I will now describe my parents' families. My mothers' mother  had twelve children. Eight girls and four boys. Her mothers' name was Sylvia and her fathers' William Halford Fell. He had a very successful business with a factory for making gilt frames at New North Road, London, and he and Grandma had a very beautiful house where they brought up all their children, at Upper Clapton. Grandma was a very good manager having two good maids to help her, and a needlewoman to do the mending and sewing for her large family. They kept a Brougham and Trap. She did a lot of social work and gave lovely dinner parties. Grandpa was on what was called, I think, The Board of works, which is now the London County Council, and even went to the Lord Mayors' Banquet on Show night in the time of electing the new Lord Mayor. My mother going with them too. Their holiday times as the children grew older were spent in a furnished house at Sidmouth Devon, taking the maid and the little groom with the trap (Tom).

My Grandpas' children were very well educated. The Girls going to the Misses Bussies a famous school for girls at that time, and mentioned one afternoon on T.V. All the girls played the piano beautifully. Grandpa expected them to play to him in the evenings. There were two pianos in the large drawing room and duets were played. The girls grew up and one and all were married. Grandpa retired fairly early and they had a very nice comfortable home at Amwell, I think on the Herts. and Cambridge border. They had a cow and made their own butter as well. Tom the groom was older then, but went with then to manage the gardens etc. Many of my Aunts were married from there, including my mother and father. The church was through a field path, so the Brides had to walk to the Church at Great Amwell. The vicar was Rev. Parnett. (LJ: spelling or transcribing error - should be Rev Parrott) After a while Grandma and Grandpa moved to Knebworth, to a very nice house there and took a very great interest in Church affairs and Sunday School. There they built a Church Hall and the Sunday School which was started by then was able to use it when it was finished.

I was born in 1888, and was Christened in the Church at Knebworth. I was taken there for the ceremony. Well after a while the Grandparents moved to New Barnet. My youngest Aunt, named Edith, had married, going to live with them there. After they had been there for sometime, other Aunts had houses there, and we finally moved from Tottenham to a house called Dunster Villa at New Barnet, and everyone spent many happy times together. and went to lovely parties at different houses.

Well I think I must mention my Fathers' family, though I don't know much about them as they had passed on before I was born. They had a very large family. I think my Grandpa Newman came from Gloucestershire in his youth. His name was Richard and my mother always told me that my Grandma Newman was a very sweet lady. My Grandpa was a wine importer and travelled abroad for his business. He went to the Paris Exhibition and brought back several very nice things which were in our home. Once upon a time they had about eight children. Five boys and three girls. In my young days and teens I spent a lot of time with his sister Emily Jones who had a big family, lived for years at Faversham. How I enjoyed my stays with Horace, Ada, Charlie, Arthur, Bert and Alfred. All dead and gone now.

Well now back to old school days at New Barnet. I had several cousins with the three Aunts at Lynsdown Avenue, where they all had very nice houses. When my cousin Irene married later in the First world War, she lived at Brighton and was married to the nephew of Jesse Boot, the famous Chemist. When Ron and I first went to school, it was a little private school, run by a very elderly lady with ringlets. She was also very strict but a wonderful teacher. When we started Ron was five years and I was nearly seven. I had learned a little from my mother before I went so was not too bad, though a dreadfully nervous little girl. There were no Nursery schools in those days, and mothers did not seem to find their babies and little ones such a trouble and delighted to teach them little rhymes and songs. Anyway, we stayed with Mrs Watt for a few years. I remember several happenings , such as her kitchen being so full of soot and smoke one day, owing to her putting her dinner potatoes on to cook and turning her oil stove up too high. A Beatrice it was called. I expect some of my older readers will remember them. Another thing I remember was on Wednesday afternoons she attended the Church Needle Sewing class, so she put us on our honour and left us in the charge of two teenage girls. Well as soon as she was out of sight the fun began. Desks were turned about, inkwells removed and fun and games began. Puss in the Corner was a favourite and the noise was thunderous. Well after several of these successful afternoons, one afternoon, much to our horror, the door opened and there she stood. You can imagine the scene, and of course Ron and I were terrified, though it was the older girls who had the punishments. Well she was getting on and one day I had to take a letter to my father telling him that she was giving up the school and going to an elderly peoples home in High Barnet. With what joy we received the news, middle of term and no school. Our hopes soon had a shock for mother soon found another for us to go to. The Misses Wills, a much larger private school and I really enjoyed my school days there. But I really must admit that Ron caused me a lot of worry there and was a very troublesome boy. One day coming late to school and then taking a mouse out of his pocket and putting it amongst the girls. The shrieks and shouts and stamping about the classroom were terrible. But it was his undoing and father was asked to remove him as he was really too old for Miss Wills to manage. So he went up to a boys school by train, to Hornsey.

When I was eleven an adventure I had to put up with I will now relate. We had caught the 8.30 from New Barnet as usual, and can't think why we had the carriage to ourselves. But here I will let my readers into a secret, can't do much harm now.Th e majority of children who caught the train, some only going as far as Wood Green, had cheap third class tickets, 15/3 a quarter. These had to be issued at Potters Bar, two stations down the line, so they should have always travelled in the third class carriages. But they didn't stick to the rule, and had even forgotten, I think, that they had to. We at 18/1 per quarter,use d the second class, which were issued just for us at New Barnet, and one or two boys and girls. Anyhow we had all our friends of the third class and a hectic time was had by all. It was not my choice. I was always worried for the little. so and sos , and afraid they would catch it someday. There were of course Inspectors on the train and somehow the word got round, and then the wrong doers would use their own class for a few days. So to cut a long story short, I expect it was one of those days. Anyway I sat learning my French verbs and just as we had passed New Southgate, Ron said "You know Hilda, this door would not really open if I tried to open it (we were in the tunnel then), and so the little beast put his hand to it and tried it and the next second he was gone leaving the door wide open, and he left lying in the tunnel. I was terrified. The train slowly drew out of the tunnel and into the platform of Wood Green . I in a daze I got out, the door was hanging by one hinge, and of course I left the coats and satchels behind me. But it was not long before the guard and a porter discovered the mess and started shouting at me coming after me for an explanation. I told then the door had come open and my brother had fallen out, not a word about the little beast opening it. I said I wanted to go home to my mother. They marched me across to the Station Masters' office who listened to the story. He said to the men to send two men with a stretcher to find the boy. He said there was a train back to New Barnet in a minute, Do you want to go on it? So I got back to New Barnet, but dare not go home to mother. What could I tell her? I wandered about and then delightedly spotted an Uncle of mine who was off to catch his train to the City. I told him the tale and he said " wait here and I will go and see what I can find out." Meanwhile a train had come in, and to my joy and amazement, there was Ron safe and sound with a Railway official walking out. A torn jacket, small cut on the forehead, no cap. Ron lead the way with the man and Uncle Ted and I was behind. And so although my mother had a shock, it was not as bad as if she had heard it before she had seen the results. The Ambulance men had nearly reached the tunnel and the little beast walked out gaily. Mother was advised to get our own Dr. to examine him. A reporter from the Barnet Press called for a report of the accident. "Truer than Fiction, Boy falls out of train in tunnel and lives!" I do not know why, but that day we were taking our lunches to school. Mother must have been having a rare day out. They were sardine sandwiches which I had to eat out in the garden, and then catch the 1.28 for afternoon school. What a Heroine I had become! Teachers and friends wanting to know my story. Needless to say my mother did not get her day out. The Aunts and Grandma and Grandpa Fell were spending the month at Sidmouth, so after hearing our news a large llb tin of Devonshire cream was in the post. But the poor victim was not in any need of feeding up. He kept us on the run with demands for comics, drinks and fruit and his appetite was no worse for his adventure! A ring at the bell at tea-time, the Vicar (first visit in years), had called to see the boy, having read of it in the Barnet Press. He went upstairs to see Ron in bed. Came down saying, "He doesn't look at all bad for his adventure, eating bread and jam alright. Another ring at the door, and it was the Doctor, saying that he needn't stay in bed any longer as he seemed quite fit. So he went back to school the next Monday.

I think the school holidays were soon to begin because I remember going to stay with Aunt May at Enfield. Uncle Charlie had gone to America on business and they all felt down in the dumps and wanted me to cheer them up. I had a very nice time going for rides with Aunt Queenie on Aunt Mays' Bicycle and playing tennis on the lawn. I had a crush on Leo and he used to shout for his little wife as soon as he got in the front door. He was to be 21 very soon and I saved up to buy him two ties. He was working at Werner Buts. in those days. He had been at boarding school in Margate until he was old enough for a job. Louis Barnet also went to Werner Buts. the next year and hated and loathed working for Germans and w as always going to leave. Louis wanted me earlier on to marry him and go to Canada. "Most certainly not!" said Mother and Aunts, "Cousins don't marry".

Grandma Fell died about this time, rather earlier I now think, as it was just before Christmas and the funeral was the day after Boxing day. We, Mother being so upset, were asked to go back to Balham with Uncle Don and Aunt Lizzie. Really I enjoyed the Christmas, the boys were very nice. Louis, Reggie and Norman and I was Belle of the ball, and sung all of my songs, with Louis playing for me, He had a lovely voice and played beautifully and showed me how to use my voice to an advantage. He himself with Reggie sung in the Balham Church choir. Well the funeral was over on the Saturday and we stayed with Uncle and Auntie for a whole four weeks. I had now earned the name of Sunshine from Uncle Don and the boys. Now here is something I remember from that visit. I had one tooth too many which should come out. Louis said if you will let me take you to the Dentist I will take you to the Theatre. So I had the tooth out. "Like a true Briton", said Louis, "Not a murmur", and the next night he came round calling at the front door. "Got your glad rags on Sunshine? We are going to the Theatre!" So wasn't that lovely? I thought so' Poor Louis retired to Sidmouth, never married and died at 64. He was a sailor in the First World War, and at one time was blown out into the sea in a battle.

At this time my Mother thought a little job would be nice for me. We were living at Somerset Road in those days. I loathed the idea, but was sent to have an interview and got the job. 9am-6pm at £12 per year. Looking after Bishop Ingram's grandchildren, ages four and six. All very nice people, treated like a young lady. The Bishops sons were sailors, Fred. and Sid, with Cecil at College in London, going in for Electrical training, talked of Electric cookers being used in the near future. I didn't believe it at first, very friendly with me. Played the Piano and Organ, always trying to get me to sing. Fred came home on leave and was very charming to me. I really fell for him, a perfect gentleman. He became 21 on leave one year and a lovely luncheon party was had in Epping Forest, Fred was very attentive all day, rather noticeable I think, but there he was soon back to sea. Just before the FWW he married a nurse who had looked after Mary and Geoff before I did. Cecil married a very musical girl before the FWW. There was Chris at Eastbourne Cottage and a few years back I saw a notice in a Surrey paper that said he had died. 15 years since I had last seen him. Organist in a Sussex Church when he died. Mary seems to have been in some Religious job, for I saw her again reported some years ago. I really was quite happy with them all, but did not want to do the job. I liked being at home. Anyway I must have stayed about two years, and then at Christmas Grandpa Fell died. Mother was in a nervous state so I said I could not come back anymore. Mrs S was furious, anyway whenever she wanted to go away for a weekend she would get me to go and take over. My friend Werme took the job over and said she never knew how I stuck it out so long. Just good nature on my part. I think though they were really charming to me, especially Grandmother, the Bishops wife who we visited in her lovely house every morning. Grandpater giving the children rides on his back or on all fours, before going to London to Church house. Grandmas' second husband, she had been married to a Doctor who died. She had a son by her second marriage, Uncle Arthur, a charming man who also became a Vicar at Saffron Waldron. Mother, thinking again I needed a little job, found that Ada Wreford was wanting a helper for another school she was opening. She had one at Henry Road, East Barnet and was taking on another with a Junior class in Station Road, very well set up.So I was there with 30 small children until I was 20. In fact I met my dear Husband-to-be from that time in the Easter holidays. His young sister was a pupil there, or rather my department. I got tired of it after two or three years and gave my notice in. But after a week a knock at the door and an out of breath Miss Wreford asked if I would go back because some (kids) wouldn't come and their Mothers had to get out their old prams to push them there. They cried for Miss Newman, so though I didn't want to I went back. She said she would raise my salary. So for a short time I did though I was engaged then to dear Josh and soon to be married.